DISH: MONDONGO PANAMEÑO (stewed tripe)
CONTRIBUTED BY: Wan Leng Tay, international food writer, YouTube
1kg clean tripe
1 smoked pork knuckle or ham bone (optional, but adds taste)
3 bay leaves
2 red capsicum peppers, diced
12 garlic cloves, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup chickpeas/garbanzo soaked in water overnight, drained
350g chorizo, diced in large chunks
3 carrots, diced
6 tomatoes, diced
1 scotch bonnet pepper, left whole
Parsley to garnish
- In a soup pot place knuckle/ham bone, bay leaves. Cover with water. Cook 3-4 hours until tripe is soft.
- In another pot, fry sausage gently in olive oil. Remove from the pan, set aside.
- Fry onion, garlic, red capsicum pepper, celery, black pepper until fragrant.
- Add tripe etc, place the whole bonnet pepper on top.
- Cover slightly, cook over low heat for an hour. Check the water level frequently, add if necessary, to ensure enough sauce.
- Add salt to taste. Garnish with parsley.
- Serve with steamed rice or bread.