DISH: ATASSI or WATCHÉ
CONTRIBUTED BY: Edwidge Saizonou, Spouse to the Ambassador
100 g onions
4 tablespoons peanut oil
600 g mature tomatoes
2 dessertspoons ground dried prawns
1 dessert spoon paprika.
Salt & pepper
1 dessertspoon ginger
1 dessert spoon ground garlic.
250 grams beans, soaked overnight
250 grams rice
1 l water
- Put beans in a pressure cooker together with 1 liter water. Close pressure cooker, put on high heat, when steam comes out from the valve put heat on low heat and cook beans for 1 hour.
- Add rice, cook for 20 minutes without a cover, take care of the quantity of water, if it is dry add a little water.
- Pour peanut oil in a pan, sauté onion.
- Add diced tomatoes. Put on a low heat.
- Crush tomatoes with a wooden spoon, cook until the meat is well separated from the skin.
- Use a food mill to obtain the meat of tomatoes without the skin and seeds.
- Grind dried prawns.
- Put salt, ground dried prawns, pepper, paprika, ginger and garlic together with tomato
meat. Cook on a low heat for 30 minutes to have a concentrated sauce.
If you are using pear tomatoes you don’t need so much time, 10 minutes is ok