DISH: GRILLED CRAB
CONTRIBUTED BY: High Commission, Mission in Pretoria
Ingredients (Serves 4)
4kg of crab (fresh)
4 cloves of garlic + 1 bay leaf
2 lemons, cut in half
juice of 2 lemons
3 malagueta pepper (crushed)
tabasco sauce + salt
parsley/coriander, thyme, oregano
1 coal stove (or electric grill)
- Wash the crabs thoroughly and blanche them for 5 minutes on high heat.
- Separate the legs from the shells.
- Separate the edible body from the rest of the shell. Clean all impurities.
- Cut the crabs in quarters or in half.
- Place in a container the garlic, salt, malagueta pepper, bay leaf and lemon juice.
- Stab the paws so that the inside of them can better absorb the seasoning.
- Let the crabs marinate in this preparation for half an hour while preparing the grill.
- Mix the lemon juice and freshly chopped coriander/parsley, 1 malagueta pepper, thyme, oregano, 4 drops of tabasco, 1 tablespoon of vegetable margarine, olive oil/vegetable oil.
- Place in a clay container and set aside. Put it next to the grill to catch some heat, stirring occasionally to brush the crabs while cooking.
- When the coal is on fire, place a grill over the heat and grill the crabs, brushing from time to time with sauce.
- Grill for 5 to 10 minutes maximum on each side, over medium heat.
- When ready, drizzle the crabs with the respective sauce and serve immediately!
Serve with garlic bread and a drink of choice.