DISH: KUNEFE (a dessert dish)
CONTRIBUTED BY: Yazmin Ozdemir, Turkish citizen in South Africa
125g unsalted, shredded mozzarella cheese or any other white, stringy, unsalted cheese
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 slice lemon
Pistachios for garnishing
- In a medium pot, combine sugar, water and slice of lemon, boil for 15 mins.
- Remove from heat, remove the lemon slice and let it cool.
- Melt the butter.
- Into a separate 15cm pan, shred half of the kadaifi.
- Pour half of the melted butter over and press down hard to ensure the kadaifi stick together very well.
- Place the mozzarella cheese on top, shred the remaining kadaifi over the cheese, then the remaining butter. Press down hard again.
- Cook on a low heat until the bottom turns golden, turning the pan constantly. Turn the kadaifi over and repeat.
- Remove from heat and pour syrup immediately. Garnish with pistachios.