DISH: PABLO NERUDA’S CONGER CHOWDER
CONTRIBUTED BY: Deborah Siraze, wife to the Ambassador
Ingredients (Serves 4)
4 medallions red cusk-eel
4 tblsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic
4 caraila potatoes
1 cup prawns
1 cup Sauvignon Blanc
2 cups fish stock or furnet
1 cup cream
salt and pepper
- Finely cut onion, crush cloves. Peel tomatoes and cut into quarters.
- Wash, peel, chop the potatoes into 8 pieces. Boil until cooked. Plunge into cold water, put aside.
- Finely chop the chowder.
To make the chowder
- Heal the olive oil in a large pan or earthenware casserole dish.
- Add onion, fry until golden. Add garlic, tomatoes and stir.
- Add the white wine, stock and fish portions.
- When the mixture is cooked, add the potatoes and prawns, cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
To serve: Place a piece of cusk-eel in a soup bowl, together with potatoes and some of the liquid with onions, garlic and tomatoes.
Finish off with a touch of cream and chopped coriander.