DISH: ACHAR MURGH
CONTRIBUTED BY: Minako Sarkar, Spouse to Ambassador
This is my favourite recipe from the cookbook called ” Hyderabadi Cuisine ” by Pratibha Karan. I have cooked this often for our dinner table. It is very simple to cook, and it is delicious. It’s a refreshing change from usual butter chicken or chicken curry.
1 kg chicken cut into 10 to 12 pieces
1- 4 teaspoons red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
2 tablespoons ground ginger and garlic
1 and 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
2 teaspoons coriander powder
5 tablespoons lemon juice
6 green chillies halved
1/4 cup curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Salt to taste
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds
3-6 whole dry red chillies
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
2/3 cup oil
- Put the chicken in a heavy based pan, add to it all the ingredients except the ones for Baghar. Marinate for an hour.
- Heat oil and add the ingredients for Baghar.
- After few seconds, the whole chillies darken, the mustard seeds pop and the curry leaves give out aroma.
- Pour the Baghar over the marinated chicken. Cover the dish immediately. (Be careful not to burn the spices completely black!)
- Cook first on high and then on a medium-to-slow heat.
- Stir from time to time, cook until the chicken is tender and the water dries up.