DISH: SWEET & SOUR SHRIMP
CONTRIBUTED BY: Angela Yeung, Chinese Expat (SA Citizen)
Sweet and Sour Shrimp is a quick Chinese meal made all in on pot! Succulent seafood is stir-fried with bell peppers, zucchini, pineapple and then tossed in a tangy honey sauce. This dish comes together in just 20 minutes for a simple and flavourful dinner.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
½ cup honey
⅓ cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 tablespoons pineapple juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined, 16/20 count size
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1 cup red bell pepper ¾-inch dice
1 cup zucchini ¼-inch slices
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 cup pineapple chunks
1 tablespoon sliced green onion
¼ teaspoon sesame seeds
- Whisk together honey, rice vinegar, soy sauce, tomato paste, and pineapple juice in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water in a small bowl.
- Dry shrimp with paper towels. Combine shrimp with salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat a wok or large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and sesame oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the shrimp in a single layer, do not move for 1 minute. Stir and cook another 30 seconds. Transfer cooked shrimp to a clean plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan, once hot add the bell pepper and zucchini. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add in the garlic and ginger, stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add in the pineapple and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the sweet and sour sauce, stir and cook until simmering, 2 minutes.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture and then gradually add it to the centre of the pan. Stir constantly until the sauce is thickened, 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked shrimp, stir to combine and cook until shrimp are warmed through, 2 minutes.
- Serve sweet and sour shrimp garnished with green onions and sesame seeds.