DISH: TOM YUM GUNG (Hot and Sour Prawn Soup)
CONTRIBUTED BY: Embassy, Mission in Pretoria
100g straw mushrooms
1 stick lemongrass, chopped
2 pieces galangal, thinly sliced crosswise
1 coriander root
3 Old Kaffir lime leaves
625 ml stock
10 – 15 small chilies, pounded
5 tbsp fish sauce
5 tbsp lemon juice
1 bunch coriander
- Wash the prawns. Remove the shells. Keep the shells, prawn oil and prawns separate.
- Bring the stock to the boil, and then add the shells. Bring back to the boil.
- In a frying pan, heat a little bit of oil. Then add the prawn oil and stir. Set aside.
- Devein the prawns.
- Bring the stock to the boil. Add the following: sliced galangal, chopped lemongrass and coriander root.
- When the stock is simmering, add the straw mushrooms, kaffir lime leaves, deveined prawns and stirred prawn oil. Stir until cooked through and garnish with coriander leaves.
The best hot and sour prawn soup should have a sour, salty and spicy taste.
The prawns should be fresh.
The prawn oil must not burn