DISH: ROASTED EGGPLANT IN TAHINI SAUCE AND CHALLAH BREAD
CONTRIBUTED BY: Sarit Levor Keinan, Spouse to the Ambassador
Challah Jewish Bread for Sabbath
- Pour 1 kg flour into a bowl, put 2 tsp Dry Yeast inside a hole you create in the middle and cover before adding other ingredients.
- Slowly add 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup oil, 2 1/4 cups of slightly warm water and 1 tsp salt.
- Mix the dough well and leave it (sticky texture) to rise (1st) covered with a towel for 1.5-2 hours.
- Cut into 4 balls and let rise for ½ hour (2nd).
- Make 4 braids, apply egg with a brush and spread on top some Sesame Seeds (or Poppy Seeds), let rise for ¼ hour (3rd).
- Place in pre-heated oven 180°C and bake for 15-20 minutes until ready.
- Cover with a towel and let it cool.
Green Tahini Sauce
- Add 1 cup water to a bowl with 200 ml Raw Tahini Paste.
- Add spices according to taste: fresh juice of ½ – 1½ lemon(s), 1 cup finely chopped Parsley, 2-3 cloves chopped garlic, 1 tsp Salt, ½ tsp Pepper.
Oven Roasted Eggplant
- Wash and dry 2-3 medium size Eggplants or 9-10 miniature size.
- Make a small cut to avoid explosion in the oven.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and cook for 30-40 minutes until skin is soft and changes colour to brown.
- Serve shortly after they cool a bit, cut in halves.
- Pour the Tahini and serve with Challah.