DISH: WALNUT-STUFFED AUBERGINES
CONTRIBUTED BY: Roswitha Brieger, Spouse to the Ambassador
2 large aubergines
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 celery sticks, chopped
175g mushrooms, chopped
6 tablespoons brown rice, cooked
50g walnuts, ground
1 tablespoon tomato purée
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt & pepper
75g vegetarian cheese, grated
- Prick the aubergines all over, cut in half, place cut side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add onion and fry until soft. Add garlic and celery, fry for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, walnuts, tomato purée, parsley and seasoning.
- Turn off the heat.
- Scoop the flesh from the aubergines without breaking the skins. Chop finely, mix with the fried mixture.
- Pile into the aubergine skins, sprinkle with cheese and heat under a hot grill until bubbling.
- Serve with a crisp, mixed salad.