DISH: KALE WITH PEANUT BUTTER SAUCE
CONTRIBUTD BY: JESSICA JESINA HAMADZIRIPI, SPOUSE TO THE AMBASSADOR
2 bundles kale
1 large onion, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
2-3 tablespoons peanut butter, natural or organic
salt to taste
black pepper, to taste – optional
chillies, to taste – optional
- Wash and cut kale into fine strips.
- In about 600ml of water boil kale, chopped onion & chopped tomatoes to preferred level of cooking, until tender (well done or not).
- In a separate bowl mix the peanut butter with a little hot water to make a paste. Then pour into the pot with the other ingredients. For the hot water for the paste, drain some of the water from the cooking pot. Use the water to make a smooth peanut butter paste.
- The amount of peanut butter is dependent on preferred peanut taste (2-3 tablespoons,)
- Stir the paste into the pot until everything is well combined. Close the pot and reduce heat. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper and chillies to taste. Note: Add salt to taste towards the end of cooking because some peanut butter has added salt.
- Serve the vegetables hot with Sadza (Pap or Nsima). It can also be served with plain boiled rice.